The Woodland Discovery Playground opens daily at 9am and closes one hour before sunset.
Woodland Discovery Playground
Did you know that this innovative play space was designed for kids, by kids?
Input from little play experts, play theorists and landscape architects shaped this special space, which has earned international awards for innovative and sustainable design!
In fact, the Woodland Discovery Playground was named one of the "16 Coolest Playgrounds in the World" by Mental Floss Magazine, and it was one of the first three sites in the world to earn Sustainable SITES Certification.
The Woodland Discovery Playground features six play nests, each focused on a different type of play. Here, children of all ages abilities can discover new ways to play!
Play it safe! Check out the Woodland Discovery Playground rules at the bottom of the page or by clicking here!
To arrange for your group of 10 or more visiting the Playground,
please contact our Sales + Events team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (901) 222-7280.
Young climbers ages 6-12 will enjoy scaling our two kids’ boulders! These climbing boulders are 7 feet tall and 6 feet in diameter and have hand and footholds carved into the surface with varying levels of difficulty. Climbing boulders can help build confidence, improve coordination, increase strength, enhance problem solving skills. Plus, it's just fun!
Play it safe! Check out the climbing boulder rules here!
The climbing boulders honor a boy who taught us to “look” every day. Look for the beauty all around you, in the clouds, the trees, the lake, the birds. Look for ways to show kindness because you can make a difference with just a smile.
Look for adventure by experiencing and learning new things. And stop each day to look for hearts that come in all sizes and colors, for they unite us in love.
Michael's Rock was made possible by the generous support of hundreds of Michael’s friends and family and the Hyde Family Foundation, in the hopes that it will inspire new generations of children to love climbing and seek adventure and discovery in the natural world around them.
GENERAL PLAYGROUND RULES
- Children ages 2-12.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Adults may not enter the playground without a child.
- No pets.
- No wheels (bikes, wheelies, skateboards, etc.).
- No food or beverage.
- No drugs, smoking or alcohol.
- No amplifying sound.
- No disorderly conduct.
- No commercial activity.
- Parties and groups must make a reservation to attend (contact email@example.com at (901) 222-7280 to reserve)
- You are not permitted to bring in your own tables
- Playground may be cleared and/or closed due to inclement weather including thunder or lightning. The area will not reopen until it is determined that the threat of weather is no longer present.
- Shelby Farms Park is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
CLIMBING BOULDER RULES
- The climbing boulders are for children ages 6-12.
- Climb with caution and at your own risk.
- All climbers must be actively supervised and accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Be mindful and aware of other climbers. Do not climb above, below, over or near another climber.
- Do not jump from boulder to boulder or jump from the top of the boulder to the ground.
- Horseplay, profanity, aggressive and/or abusive behavior is not permitted on the boulders.
- Observe and supervise with caution and at your own risk. Do not stand, sit, or walk under climbers.
- Proper footwear is required. No bare feet, sock feet or flip-flops.
- Please do not bring food, beverages or chewing gum on to the boulders.
- Climbing boulders are open from 9am to sunset.
- Do not use the climbing boulders if they are wet, slippery or otherwise unsafe due to weather or other conditions.
- Do not mark on or deface the boulders.